Saturday, December 10, 2011

Reflecting on the past five weeks

     When I first saw the name of class, I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive as to what the class was going to be about. However, after finishing up our final week, I have been extremely pleased with the entire process of the class and concepts that we learned about action research. When I heard the term action research, I can honestly say that I had no clue as to what it was, but after these last five weeks, I have a much better understanding of the term and how to implement this research. Originally, I thought of the term “research,” as just your average book or web based search for information on a topic. Although most probably know of research in this manner, I have learned that there is so much more to this term.
     I began to gain knowledge through the video lectures on a weekly basis. From week to week, the video lectures would put me at ease, because the professors seemed to know what our concerns were from the week prior and issues/road blocks that they knew we would run into. Being able to hear them talk about these concerns and letting us know that they understand and provide suggestions on how to help us was extremely helpful. Not only were the videos supportive, but I found that the text Leading with Passion and Knowledge was beneficial for this course and my learning as well.

     Action research is a wonderful way for educators to address troubles or areas of concerns and find solutions to them. In the text, Leading with Passion and Knowledge the author states, “Learning must be something teachers and students do, not something others do to or for them.” Dana, NF( 2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge. Pg 12, Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.  This states the importance of everyone working together to better one another for our district, school, students, community and even ourselves, It is up to us as educators to begin this effort, not waiting on someone else to take a stance. With action research, we have the key to solving the issues and improving what we know is best. Being given the opportunity to develop an action research plan and being provided the steps to make it a strong, well developed project was beneficial to me. Often times as an administrator, you can get caught up in so much on daily basis that you could possibly forget why you entered the field to begin with due the demands of the job. As stated in, Leading with Passion and Knowledge, “historically, principals have not had access to tools that can help them untangle the complexity of their work as administrators and bring the focus of their work back to their leadership in teaching and learning.” Dana, NF( 2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge. Pg 2, Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.  By learning and developing an understanding of action research, I now have a tool that I can use as an administrator to help solve issues and concerns brought upon my school through a “very complex, rewarding, and transformative, provocative and productive process!” Dana, NF( 2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge. Pg 12, Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press. 

     I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with my peers and other students in this class through the discussion boards and blogs.  This was a great resource and on hand tool for much needed guidance and support.  I appreciate the amount of knowledge I have learned through this course and look forward to continuing my understanding and development of action research throughout my educational career and graduate courses.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same apprehension. I was expecting to be thumbing through a bunch of educational practices books to find information. My first thought was where will I find the books and the time?!?! I was somewhat excited, however, becasue I enjoy research. I hope your research goes well from here.

    ReplyDelete